Warley Model Railway Club
Railway modelling in most scales and gauges
Warley Model Railway Club, Unit 1F Pearsall Drive, Oldbury, West Midlands, B69 2RA
Registered as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) Charity No: 1153792
The layout is based on Humshaugh Station [originally named Chollerford] which was situated on the former Border Counties / North British line from Hexham to Riccarton Jcn. The period modelled is in the early 1950’s through to closure of passenger services in 1956 and goods services in 1958. For operational interest the track plan is more extensive than that which existed at this period but all tracks did exist at some stage throughout the station’s history. As far as possible photographic evidence has been used but this is very sparse for some parts of the site.
Rolling stock and locomotives on the layout reflect the wide range of types in use in the last years of operation including ex NBR, NER, LNER and British Standard types and as far as possible the individual locomotives are models of the ones which actually worked the line. DMUs were used on the line after withdrawal of regular passenger services on specials and rambler excursions. Building and engineering works have been produced with extensive use of “Linka” stone effect castings and the “Woodland Scenics” range has been used for much of the landscape.
The station had quite extensive goods facilities compared with other BCR locations and this provides scope for added interest when operating at exhibitions even if the level of traffic far exceeds that which existed at this period.
Some periods of operation at exhibitions may feature the introduction of green diesels and other steam classes assuming the line remained open after 1956 to all traffic representing a typical Borders/Northumbrian line rather than a specific location
Chollerford: OO Gauge
by Dave Milford & Malc Charlton
|Gallery-The Early Years|
|Gallery - After Harry Mitchell|
|Gallery - Pearsall Drive|